Un'Emozione a Tavola - Per Eva 2011 Bianco Costa Amalfi DOC

After a couple of hours on the beach,
 it was time.  Time to freshen up and head into the dining room of Taverna del Capitano.  Light jazz was the perfect background music as I browsed through the wine list that Mariella Caputo handed to me. A wine list with a reputation.  A cantina full of wines from all over Italy as well as the world.  But my eyes headed straight for the Campania section. The whites obviously since I was about to have lunch at one of the hottest seaside locations in Campania.
I love to pair territory, and on the coast that can be a challenge.  But I found a familiar wine....a familiar face...a wine that I wanted to share my afternoon with.   One wine...Per Eva 2011 Bianca Costa Amalfi .DOC...

Within minutes of my request, Per Eva arrived at my table.  As Mariella Caputo opened the bottle it was hard not to think of this winery in Tramonti.  One that I had visited several times over the  past few years.  From parties to celebrate the new vintage to various tours ,vineyard visits and tastings.  The Bove family has been a part of my life over the past few years so I was more than curious to try this particular vintage of Per Eva.  This particular vintage of falanghina, pepella, and ginestra from Tramonti, a few hundred meters above the Amalfi Coast.  As Caputo poured, I couldn't help but think back to a tasting where Gaetano Bove spoke of this wine...his family...his love for his wife Eva for which the wine is named after.  Emozianante
This golden straw colored wine shining brightly like the sun on the Amalfi Coast in August.  Intense aromas that wanted to tell their citrus story.  Their story of how they mature in the vineyards of Tramonti...one of the most beautiful spots in the Salerno province...in Campania for that matter.  Intense....extreme...powerful...

And so this wine was my lunch companion that afternoon.  Pairing happily with my appetizers as well as the fantastic view of the marina from my table by the sea...A finish as great as the day is long...
But it was when  Maitre D' Claudio Di Mauro brought me  my primo piatto of trafilia (homemade dried pasta prepared by Chef Alfonso Caputo himself) with sea urchin eggs, an deggplant mayonnaise and sea urchins on the side that I began to understand the importance of the perfect abbinamento..the perfect pairing....


A rush of emotions during each bite...during each sip...
The paiing that every sommelier hopes for when choosing a wine for their client...for their friends...for themselves...
And I found it here... at Tavena del Capiitano in Marina del Cantone (Na).


One afternoon at lunch.  Unexpected but welcomed with opened arms.
A tasting that reminded me of the hospitality of not only the Campania region...but of the Bove family as well.
Enough to produce a tear as I thought back to our history together?
Maybe just a little one....
And that's what I believe, is the perfect pairing...
No points, no stars, just emotion at the table...
Cheers!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

La Scarpetta, Pepe in Grani, Caiazzo (Ce)

The Trailer for Episode 1 of "In the Kitchen Campania" is Out Featuring Chef Luigi Coppola of Casa Coloni, Paestum (Sa)

Exploring the Flavors of Procida - the Famous Lemon Salad at Calacala' Rooms, Restaurant & Farm Experience