As I crossed the cobblestone street and walked up the stairs to the entrance of the palazzo, I thought about how the restaurant would feel inside. Would it be cold and formal or comfy and inviting?
A pre lunch tour of the the villa by owner Paola Savarese soon answered that question. Palazzo Marziale is Savarese's home and she has done an incredible job of transforming it into a warm welcoming environment for guests from all over the world.
Attention to details such as cozy couches, plants and colorful flowers, ceramic vases, paintings and books made me feel at ease right away. This serene elegance followed us out onto the terrace, onto Ristorante Terrazza Marziale where I took a seat at a table surrounded by trees, plants and a light cool breeze.
I drank a cool glass of water and sipped a tall glass of champagne while I discussed the menu with Maitre Costanzo Cacace. New questions came to mind. How would the cuisine be here? I was eager to discover what Chef Eugenio Cuomo, sous chef Domenico Stile and the rest of the brigade would share with me and the other guests that afternoon. And what better way to get it started than with the starters.
The benvenuto/off the menu welcome treats that do just that.
- Whole wheat tartine sandwiches with ricotta cheese. Two tasty versions; one with salmon and poppy seeds, and the other with dried tomatoes and walnuts.
- A small bowl of smoked cuttlefish, warm potato foam, and nutmeg.
- Beef tartare with sheep milk ricotta cheese and fermented red beets.
- Snapper with sweet and sour yellow and green bell peppers.
And as far as the menu? From the list of appetizing appetizers I chose these two.
- Sea bream scented with cognac, sweet and sour red onions with Caribbean sauce, escarole salad, and szechuan pepper,
Then octopus, which I love.
- Octopus in salmoriglio sauce with an asparagus salad, citrus fruit, and purple potatoes.
Each colorful dish was lovely to look at.
And taste? Fancy, chic, delicate -full of flavor.
And this was just the beginning...
Piazza Francesco Saverio Gargiulio, 2
80067, Sorrento (Na)
39 081 807 4406