The first time I saw Nando Salemme (owner of Abraxas) was at Terre Madre Day at Cantina Astroni last December.(here). I was quite impressed about what he had to say about Slow Food, the importance of local products, and how important it is to teach the younger generation healthy cooking and eating habits. Since then, I said to myself, “If I ever get the chance to get out to Abraxas….” That opportunity came last weekend.
Saturday night, the place was packed with a mixture of American and Italian clientele. Two levels and a terrace, we found our table next to a comfortable woodburning stove. Their menu is seasonal, representing the best that Campania, particularly Campi Flegrei has to offer. Nando suggested we try the appetizers. We agreed and were treated to a parade of specialties proudly brought to our table by a simpatico staff.
· Bruschetta with lardo nostrano
· Tagliere con cacio ricotta e salami dei Campi Flegrei
· Zuppa di fagioli (!!!!!)
· Panpata con salsiccia e friarielli (a pastry with cheese, sausauge and the famous friarielli greens baked together!!!!)
· Crepes di ricotta con fonduta di noce di Sorrento(!!!!ricotta cheese crepes with cheese and nuts from Sorrento!!!!)
· Zucca e salsiccia ( creamy pumpkin cooked to perfection with hints of sausage, garlic, and olive oil!!!)
· Pancotto di broccoli con crema di patate (!!!!)
Then it was time to move on to something else. I chose to skip the first course and go for beef braised in (what else?) aglianico with mashed potatoes. Very tender…..
Wine list? Basically a book featuring almost every wine imaginable. Our choice….Montegauro –Piedirosso Riserva 2007 DOC from Grotte del Sole.
Excellent choice of desserts, I chose the chocolate flan. This is basically a chocolate brownie covered with powdered sugar oozing with melted chocolate. A warm, toasty way to end an amazing meal before we stepped out into the cold night air.
Abraxas is located on Via Scaldrone, 15 in Lucrino. Closed on Tuesdays, open for lunch on Sundays. Call 081-8549347for a reservation or to find out about upcoming events.